Thursday, December 12, 2013

The male privilege poem

Another excerpt from the upcoming book. One of my favorites so far!

"Why don't you smile?"
the man at Starbucks said.
"I bet you have such a pretty smile."

This, from a complete stranger,
who knows not my circumstances,
my private battles,
my very life.


I gape at him and his broad shoulders,
and his condescending "Because I can" veneer.
Please, I think, Contain your male privilege,
its crumby texture already snowflaking
on my table. Let me enjoy my coffee.


Also! Here's a preview of my snazzy new cover (the back cover text may change 50 more times before I declare it finished. Hard to accurately summarize a collection of poems when the subject matter is all over the place). My new designer, Amy Queau, did this for FREE and she is a special kind of wonderful.


1 comment:

  1. UGH I HATE when guys (old or young) tell me to smile, I don't think half of them even realize that is rude of them. Makes me so mad, esp when it is old guys, I'm not given lecherous old men a smile blech. I dislike that almost as much as people hitting on me at the pharmacy while i'm selling them their Valtrex... UM NO THANKS!

    love the poem by the way sorry about that rant :-)

    ~ Jordan

    ReplyDelete