Friday, November 22, 2013

Final preview of "Public," chapter 10

Alas my friends, this is the final free preview selection of Public Displays of Convention. Hope you have enjoyed these excerpts! You can read them all in order here. Happy reading!


“Good morning, ladies,” chirps an unusually perky Julia. “Meet Zach, your new co-worker.”
     Eryn, Morgan, and I all look up in unison – a male employee? No wonder the boss is happy this morning; she’s probably thinking this will be better for business, since most of our clientele are women, but the fact that he is – hate to say it, but it’s true – good-looking is definitely a bonus for all of us. Not that I care, or am looking to date again. At any rate, Zach will be a nice distraction from Eryn and her Curly Head of Opinions.
     “Hello,” he says softly. I detect a slight southern twang in his voice, which is a perfect lead for Eryn to introduce her loud, obnoxious self. “You don’t sound like you’re from here,” she says brashly. “Did you just move here or something?” And then, as if she could subconsciously hear her mother nagging about manners, she coyly added “I’m Eryn, by the way.”
     “I did just move here,” Zach answers. Would it be cheesy to say that his voice is somewhat musical? Well, his voice is somewhat musical. “From Mississippi.”
     “Oh yeah? What for?”
     His gaze drops suddenly. “It’s kind of a long story.”
     Eryn laughs. “Well you’ll notice we have very long, empty shifts here. What’s the story?”
     “’Long and empty’? Don’t believe her,” interrupts Julia. “There’s always something to do around here. Eryn, if you’d like to go run your mouth to the woman who’s been meandering through the self-help section for the last twenty minutes, I’d greatly appreciate it.”
     With a devious grin and notorious clang of her giant hoop earrings, Eryn saunters off. I have to hand it to Julia: she comes off as a little spacey most of the time, but she does know how to handle Eryn well. But with what I’ve heard Eryn say in her presence, I’m honestly surprised she hasn’t been fired. Then again, it’s not like there’s much competition for a job like this.
     As Julia explains the lay of the land to Zach, I hear a bell ringing, indicating that someone has entered the store. I have yet to see Morgan greet anybody – I doubt anyone would hear her if she did – so I walk to the front with my prepared speech. “Welcome to Book Nook, can I help you find –”
     I stop short, realizing I already know this customer.
     “Well hey there, Anna-Kate,” Collin says. “How ya been?”
     I have never been Anna-Kate to him before. He must really be pissed that his advances were rebuffed; this is the first time I’ve seen him in over a week. “I’ve been just fine. How are you?” Why have you all of a sudden stopped talking to me?
     “I’ve been great. I didn’t know you worked here.”
     Knowing his gift for finding me anywhere, I somehow doubt this, even if Book Nook is cornered in the only shopping center this area has to offer. Collin coming here could be just a coincidence.
     I refuse to speculate. “Are you looking for anything in particular?” A book of scenes from The Lion King, perhaps? Given that ridiculous tattoo?
     “Nothing really, AK. Just browsing for now. But thank you so much for asking.”
      Using my initials is somewhat of a relief; so we’re not total strangers after all. Yet the lack of “47” following them is not what I’m used to from him, and I’m embarrassed by how much it disappoints me that he didn’t say it.
     He walks away from me, but then turns awkwardly to add “Nice hair, by the way.”
     I’m pretty sure that is not a compliment.
     Tess doesn’t know anything about Collin. I guess I was afraid to mention him, as if doing so would be prophetic and turn our situation into something bigger than it is. Which is ridiculous, because he never intended for anything concrete to happen: he proved that when he told me he only wanted to “have fun” when he almost kissed me.
     It’s still creepy to imagine what more might have transpired if he had.
     Returning behind the cash register, I watch Collin as he wanders over to Fiction, where Morgan is stocking a new shipment of New York Times best sellers. Fifty Shades of Grey just happens to be sitting on the shelf above her head, and I watch, incredulously, as Collin picks up a copy and appears to ask her about it.
     His back is facing me, so I can’t tell what he’s saying, though if I know anything about that man, it’s probably something snarky. Morgan, on the other hand, lights up like a Christmas display, and giggles incessantly. Why on earth would she be giggling about anything that has to do with Fifty Shades of Grey? It wasn’t too long ago when she made it perfectly clear to Eryn that the series was – how did she put it? – glorified sadomasochistic abuse. Yes, that’s quite a humorous subject.
     He continues to talk to her, nodding every once in a while, and Morgan is still smiling. Good grief, it looks like Collin is flirting with her! Poor girl, this may be the longest conversation she’s ever had with someone who’s not her boss or fellow employee.
     Okay, that was mean. Whatever the reason for Morgan’s extreme introversion, she seems like she’s genuinely enjoying her conversation with Collin. I wonder if he’s come up with a clever nickname for her yet (“Mousy Morgan,” perhaps? No, again, that’s unnecessarily mean). Her face has softened into an expression I’ve never seen on her before, but I know it well.
     It’s probably how I looked when Collin first started flirting with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment